Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dance Recital 2009


I'm just now beginning to feel better about the whole event so I'm bringing myself to document it. I know that sounds dramatic, but it was a very emotional day for our little one. We are very pround of her for trying "her best" and love her unconditionally.

Tyler Bree's first dance recital was this past weekend at the Hays Performing Arts Center. Her class had darling costumes and did two dances-ballet and tap. We knew there was a pretty good chance she wouldn't perform, so we had just prayed that she'd get on stage....in fact, I had said that I would be happy if she just got on stage and didn't cry. Well, Saturday morning was the dress-rehearsal. Since I had to teach my bootcamp class, Blake got her ready (full makeup and hair) and I came late. A couple of moms had voluteered to be "stage moms" to corrall the girls, change shoes, potty, and anything else that came up. Originally, I had wanted to do this, but thought better of it as I might be someone that T.B. could cling to when not wanting to go out on stage. However, during both of the her dances at the rehearsal, she cried for Daddy the whole time. You could hear her over the music and backstage....which was not okay. So I ended up being a stage mom...which meant that I was back with these girls for three hours and didn't get to see any of the performances....not a big deal, but I was looking forward to sitting in the audience especially since family and friends were coming to support Tyler Bree.

That evening, everything was going great. We had given pep talks and she said she was going to get out there and dance! Yea!.....right up until the music started. The first dance the girls started in a kneeling position and came up. Tyler Bree never made it out of the kneeling position, but didn't cry! Progress! Before the second dance, I gave more pep talk and basically told her she had to get out there because I knew she'd regret it if she didn't. For the tap dance, they were supposed to run out on stage when the music started. T.B. started to run but stopped short just outside of the curtains and the girl behind her ran into her back....but luckily was smart enough to go around her! T.B. inched closer and closer to the wings to get off the stage as the dance went on. I'm told some people thought this was "cute." Oh well.....we tried and we knew this was a definite possibility. I won't expound on the rest of the evening, as it was something that left a bad taste in my mouth about the whole experience, but in the end, it's OVER! I know I sound like I have a bad attitude about this, but it's been frusterating trying to figure out what's going on in that little head of hers. We'll see about next year.....

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I won't give any advice, all I can tell you is BEEN THERE, DONE THAT! :-D

It is gut-wrenching drama sometimes, I know. Sometimes I do think it can teach us that we will love our children, no matter what their problems are, and they can also learn to trust you that you will show them that love.

Lindsay G said...

She looks beautiful nonetheless!! :) I'm so sorry it wasn't the best experience for you guys :( I love the picture though!

Unknown said...

BUT....could she possibly BE any cuter??? I don't think so! Seriously laughing over here girl, cause you KNOW I can commiserate;)

Beckie said...

Love her cute outfit. We struggle with Issy and public events. We are holding him back a year in preschool because of his severe anxiety. I hope it gets better, she is really a beautiful little girl.