Ten years ago today I was at the day care at which I worked all through college in Lubbock.
I was in the infant room and looked out the door to see others watching a small T.V.....which struck me as odd considering there were children to take care of and we rarely watched television while there.
Immediately I knew something was wrong.
We watched and watched, stunned.
My mother called and urged me to go fill up my car with gas and to buy bottled water. Lines were ridiculously long, so after waiting a while at the gas station, I decided to return home with my half tank.
My husband had a class mid-day and the professor gave a pop quiz. He thought the professor was pretty heartless giving them that quiz considering what had just happened...much less holding class at all. Most were cancelled.
I went with two of my good friends to a ceremony at our school's sports arena that next day. When Lee Greenwood's "Proud To Be An American" was played, everyone in the entire place held up their raised, clasped hands together in tears. It was a moment I'll never forget.
Each time I see a 9/11 special on T.V., I can't tear myself away. I have to watch it. It's almost like I want to know every single detail and story there is.
Someday, I'll get out the newspaper I saved from that day and explain to my children the awful story of September 11, 2001.
It is my prayer that even though they will never understand the magnitude and weight of it as I do, that they will have the pride and love of their country as I do.
That they will remember and understand that liberty, freedom, and safety are wonderful blessings, as I do.


No comments:
Post a Comment