Friday, February 1, 2008

Ridiculosity

Yesterday, I took Riley to her Urologist appointment to follow up on some issues she has. This doctors office was a pediatric urologist, so one can imagine that there were plenty of children as well as parents in the waiting room. We got there at 9:35 and did not leave until 12:35pm! It was absolutely ridiculous! Waiting that long for an adult is one thing, but making babies wait when it's not their choice is another! How arrogant is it that doctors think that their time is more valuable than their patients' time(or parents for that matter). Luckily I had the flexibility in my schedule to stay there, but what if I was a working mother on an hourly wage or having to use my sick/vacation time to take my child to the doctor? It was all I could do to keep from laying into any one of the staff members that passed us by while we were waiting. Then they called us back for an ultrasound only to have us sit in another waiting area for 30 more minutes. After the ultrasound, we finally got to see the doctor, but by then, Riley was not having it and pretty fussy. When I went to check out, the whole place was a ghost town because all the staff had already gone to lunch. If I actually wanted to get to the bottom of whose fault it was so I could chew them out, it would only be a futile waste of my time. What was I supposed to do...after our appointment when my baby is tired, hungry, and in pain, try to track down which scheduling person actually caused us to be there for three hours? Besides, what are they going to do...say "I'm sorry Mrs. Jansen" ...that's about all I would get. It's not like they would refund my money or promise me that it wouldn't happen again, because that's not a guarantee they can make. It is totally unacceptable for patients to have to wait so long!

1 comment:

The Gath Family said...

They just don't get it! Good for you to keep your cool. You're a good mama :)