There has been discussion lately (in circles I run with) about family traditions. I'm always wanting to incorporate more traditions in our family because that's truly what sticks with children throughout their lives and bonds families closely together. Especially during this time of year, traditions seem to be at the forefront of every one's mind, but there are also some great ones for birthdays, milestones, chores, mealtimes, and other holidays. Some of ours are below, but I'd love to hear what other traditions you have in your families.
-Sunday dinner every week at my parents' house.
-Blake and I buy each other ornaments each Christmas that symbolize something that occurred in that previous year. We have exchanged some interesting ornaments!
-For birthdays, we have a special plate the person gets to eat on all day.
-We ride in Blake's truck with hot chocolate and look at Christmas lights several times throughout the holiday season.
-Wimberley Trail of Lights
-Elf on the Shelf
-(This one we're starting next year because we already decorated) Setting out the Nativity FIRST before any other Christmas decorations to "set the tone" for the holiday season, and also discuss with our children the importance of remembering the true meaning of Christmas.
1 comment:
Cute blog Kristen!! I'm so glad that you shared some of your traditions. Ever since you mentioned discussing traditions, it has become my personal mission to find out about other people's traditions so I can adopt some new ones. Here are a few that we have:
1. Our kids get to unwrap one gift on Christmas eve that always contains the same thing: pajamas, slippers, and a book.
2. On Christmas eve, we throw a blanket on the floor and have a candlelit Jerusalem-style dinner, then read the Christmas story from the Bible. We do this around Easter time also but read about Christ's resurrection instead. (This one isn't quite a tradition yet, but we have done it a couple of times in the past and I want to make it a regular one).
3. Everyone gets their favorite breakfast in bed for their birthday, including a mini cake and candles and a homemade crown.
I'm so excited to have another blog to read!! Thanks for giving me the address.
Post a Comment