I don't have any exciting post or pictures about the snow that we're NOT getting. Maybe in a couple of days if we're lucky.
I do, however, have a few words to say that have come to mind because of our current freezing temperatures.
1.) I made the first fire ever to be in our fireplace....EVER. Over the five years we've lived here, my husband has refused to build one (even though we have gas) because he doesn't want to deal with the clean up. Knowing that the temps were going to get frigid, he conceded to get some firewood. (Thanks Daddy!) This morning was very cold and we were without heat temporarily (see #2), so I took on the task myself. It wasn't too shabby of a job and we've had the pleasure of a toasty living room (which normally has a cold draft) all morning.
2.) As mentioned above, we were without power for a while this morning because of rolling blackouts. This wouldn't have even registered on our radar being so early in the morning, except for the abrupt sound of silence that immediately jolted everyone awake. You see, Blake and I...and now all three of our children....are sleep dependent on noise. We have trouble sleeping in hotels. We cannot fall asleep in silence. It just doesn't happen. I grew up sleeping with a fan and Blake has slept with one for as long as he can remember. Of course, we implemented this dependency in our children's sleep right from birth, however, we got smart after the first one.
It came to a head on a ski trip when the older two girls were younger. We forgot our source of white noise (at the time it was a big box fan....not suitable to stuff in an already loaded down SUV). Major problem, so we headed to the local grocery store and bought a box fan. Needless to say, this was absurd, so we "upgraded" the second child to a sound machine...much more travel friendly. Currently, the older two girls sleep with a box fan in their room (read: wind tunnel), the baby has the sound machine (read: loud static), and we have a milder, gentler fan combined both with the static coming through the baby monitor and our ceiling fan (read: dead to the world). Get the picture? One can imagine the shock of electricity going off when all are fast asleep, content in their symphony of white noise.....there's crying, whimpering, and gnashing of teeth.....until the power comes back on. Fortunately, the man of the house is smart enough to have put batteries in the baby's sound machine. I knew I married a genius.
It's one of those things where we admit we have a problem, but want nothing to do with breaking the addiction. We even have noise machine apps on our phone for when we travel.
Is anyone else this way?
My children's future spouses will be forced to adopt this way of life, I'm sure. Unless of course, they come from an "un-silenced " family of sleepers as well. I'll include that in my prayers tonight.
2 comments:
Have to say my boys are addicted, too. But since my second fan broke for the nursery, Mason hasn't had any white noise to sleep to. The boys make enough noise in the background, I suppose. :)
We did not grow up with "noise-makers", but my sister and her family have adopted this practice. I went to stay with them, and I stayed in my nephew's room. He decided he wanted to sleep with me (he was like 3), so there we were trying to sleep. He couldn't fall asleep without his noise, so we turned it on. And then I couldn't sleep. Once he fell asleep, I had to go in the living room on the couch and sleep. So, I would say that there are definitely others that are in the same boat as you.
Post a Comment