In fact, my husband would absolutely LOVE to quit his normal, respectable career and become a full-time pig breeder. Our family (Blake, his brother, and dad) breed and raise show pigs. This is quite a complicated and in-depth business, as they take into consideration genetics, trends of judging, maintaining their herd, ferring (birthing), medication, the precise manner in which to feed the pigs, etc. I could go on....I know way more than I appear to know about pigs. I don't want to show off though.
Somewhere I have a picture of my sister-in-law and me years ago covered in pig crap, giving whoever is taking the picture a dirty look. By the way, pig excrement is the MOST foul smelling of any animal's in existance, and the smell will permanently adhere to anything in which it comes in contact! But that is a topic for a different post, as it could get lengthly.
This past week was the Hays County Livestock Show. Our family business, Jansen Show Pigs, had several kids showing their hogs at the show. Even though this was only a county show, (compared to larger shows such as Houston and San Antonio), it's a big deal because it's always good to "win at home", which is exactly what we did! One of our pigs won Grand Champion, which has never happened before at the Hays show. Very exciting for everyone, especially the little miss who showed the hog.
We still have the major shows to go, but this was a great start to show season!
3 comments:
I'm sure Delaney would love to hear more about this. She just started 4H this year.
LOL and Congrats!
Matt was just asking me a couple of days go if I knew how they did this year, sounds like they did great. Congrats! That is awesome!
PS ... You are totally the hottest Pig Farmer's Wife I know :)
Post a Comment