Sunday, March 6, 2011

The 'Other' Football

Soccer most definitely does NOT run in my blood.

But maybe it will run in the blood of my children.

My dad was a football coach his entire career.  I grew up with football.

If that doesn't make sense to you, you're probably not from Texas, and I'd be happy to explain to you the intricacies of soccer vs. football....not in this post though.

The two older girls started their soccer season this weekend.  Being so close in age, they're able to be on the same team.  We as parents were super excited for them.  I had plans of cheering on the sidelines, making their mid-game snacks of Gatorade and orange slices, and getting the perfect action shots of my babies scoring goal after goal.  I still do have that vision, as it didn't quite work out that way this time.

After a week of tracking down the perfect cleats and shin guards (hard to find sizes for miniature feet)...


And "coaching" the girls on how it's okay to be aggressive in this sport....

We were ready Saturday morning for their debut.  At our house it was slightly windy and cool, but nothing worrisome.  Here's the girls before we left for the game.
When we got to the fields, the wind was ferocious and made it almost miserable to be outside.  The girls were cold but happy to have their new jerseys, (that hid under what warm clothes I could scrounge from the car).

Then the rain hit.

As before mentioned, in the state of being "almost miserable," we were now completely miserable in freezing cold rain with 40 mph winds.  But they hung in there....
...until it really started to come down, at which point, we all ran to the car.

After the quick shower, we returned to the field assuming the game would proceed as scheduled.  There wasn't any reason it shouldn't.  It was just cold and windy, rather than cold, windy, AND rainy.  It turned out, our family and the coach were the only ones who didn't permanently abandon ship.

I was a little frustrated.  We had prepared all week and the girls' entire family was present to support them....by golly, we were going to see some soccer whether the game was cancelled or not!!!

And that's exactly what we did....minus this one.  She was out.  I don't blame her.  If I had a warm car to go sit in with my iPhone, I would have jumped at the offer also.

 The other child, revelling in her new-found spotlight, put on a little soccer exhibition for the rest of us.
Check out her faces...

She graciously made some time for her fans...

Especially, her biggest fan...I think he even got her autograph.

So until next week's game, I'll be praying for better weather, buffing and shining cleats, and reading "Soccer Moms For Dummies."

No comments: