Friday, May 13, 2011

Charity

When my big belly and I go out with my three girls, I usually get a few interesting looks.  Occasionally, strangers think they're pretty hilarious and tell me something along the lines of "That better be a boy in there!".  I mostly reply that they can be rest assured it is (along with an inconspicuous eye-roll to myself).

Lately though, I've contemplated the remarks I could make:

"No, I'm sorry, but unfortunately I am having twin baby girls."

"What are you talking about?  I'm not pregnant you idiot!!!"

Or simply just stare at them.

I digress from my original intent of this post.

I went to Costco this morning, as I frequently do about every other week, and found yet again my experience to be disappointing.

Now, if you know me well, you'll know that I am NOT disappointed in Costco....my beloved Costco...I could never be mad at her.

It's the lack of help from staff, patrons, and people in general whom I encounter in my various outings of late.  I know I am whining/venting/complaining, but it's really more than that.

Let me explain....When I see a mother juggling multiple children alone, much less one who's tummy is in full bloom, I automatically look for a way I can help ease her load.  I know I do this out of empathy, but I'd like to think that I would do the same even if I had no experience with children at all.  That's just what people do, right?  Evidently not.

I can manage fine.  I do it all by myself and know I can...otherwise I'd ask for help....that is not my point.  So far, lifting my children out of the cart, loading pallets of Diet Dr. Pepper into my Yukon, and strategically fitting the equivalent of the contents of my home into a storage unit, has not thrown me into labor or thrown my back out.

But come on!  It never fails that I notice others observing my physical awkwardness and difficulties, yet not one person has ever asked to help or lend a hand.  Truthfully, if the tables are turned, I think asking if someone needs help is for sissies.  People have two eyes.  They can see what needs to be done....just get in there and help a momma out!

Again, I repeat, I can do it myself...it's just the principle of what is wrong with people these days!??!  What happened to having charity and being a good Samaritan?!?

Although I am referring to my experiences while being pregnant, I feel this applies to any situation where one sees the need of help in another.  I love the happy feeling I get when I have the opportunity to assist someone (particularly strangers) in need.

I think everyone could use a bit more charity in their lives...both giving it and receiving.  What a great example for our children to follow, as well.

1 comment:

Bobbie said...

Hhmmm, the beginning sounds all too familiar:)

Funny thing: A friend of a friend, just had her FIFTH girl...3 & 4 were twin girls!