Friday, February 25, 2011

A Tale of Two Books

Currently, I am reading two books.  I rarely undertake two at the same time, as normally I am so absorbed and obsessed with the book I have going, that there is no place for an alternate.  Being two very different books, I'm managing fine.

The first book that I'm almost done with is "Black Heels to Tractor Wheels" by The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond.

I love her blog and frequently make recipes from both her cookbook and blog.  This was our bookclub choice and it's a very quick read.  She writes about her experience meeting the man of her dreams, all her "city girl meets rancher" mishaps, and chronicles the first year of their marriage.  Very entertaining, especially if one is familiar with her blog.

The second book is a little more involved.  It is the second book in a series of novels that accompany the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon....which, if you haven't read those books, get on it straight away!  Anyway, she has written three books so far about one of the secondary characters from the "Outlander" series, which is called the "Lord John" series.  This sophomore, I have found, is better than the first Lord John book. 
I love her writing....although she is making me VERY impatient for the 8th "Outlander" book, set to be out sometime in 2013.  Ugh, the nerve.  The Lord John books are keeping me somewhat pacified in the meantime, as they incorporate story lines and characters from the "Outlander" books.

Even though I don't have a whole lot of time to read, I think there are few things better than a book that you just can't stop thinking about and have to pick up to read at any chance you get.

In other news, I'm saddened by the closure of my favorite bookstore.  However, this event has sealed the deal on my decision to get an e-reader....along with some campaigning from my friends.  Hmmmm, what's the next holiday for which I could ask this new toy?

St. Patrick's Day?  No.

Easter?  No.

April Fool's Day?  No.

Oh yes, Mother's Day.  That will work nicely....if I can wait until May.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

What about TX Independence Day?? I love my Kindle!